Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Renton Abortion Clinic Being Sued for Botched 26-week Abortion

This blog has just learned that Washington State's most horrific abortion clinic is in the middle of another scandal. Cedar River Clinics is being sued for medical malpractice for a late-term abortion that almost killed the mother and left her unable to have children.

The doctor who performed the late-term abortion was Robert L. Kothenbeutel.

According to court documents, on December 13, 2007, Maria Diel of Pierce County came to Cedar River in Renton -- also known as the Feminist Women's Health Center -- to have her "25+ week" baby killed by the brutal abortion procedure known as dilation and evacuation. This is medical-speak for forcing the mother's cervix open enough so that the 'doctor' can go in with a forceps and rip the baby's legs and arms off and pull them out. Here is one description of the procedure:

Dilation and Evacuation (D & E)
Similar to a D & C abortion, this method also necessitates the forced dilation of the cervix. Metal forceps with a sharp cutting edge are used to grasp and pull the baby from the womb. The entire body is removed piece by piece. Because the baby's skull has typically hardened to bone by this time it must sometimes be compressed or crushed in order to be removed from the uterus. As a result, women undergoing this procedure have a higher risk of cervical laceration. Ironically, even some abortionists find this procedure distasteful, as the process of using forceps to twist and tear the baby's body from the womb is undeniably traumatic.


Another description is from former late-term abortionist Dr. Tony Levatino, where he goes into detail about removing the baby's skull:
The toughest part of a D&E abortion is extracting the baby’s head. The head of a baby that age is about the size of a plum and is now free floating inside the uterine cavity. You can be pretty sure you have hold of it if the Sopher clamp is spread about as far as your fingers will allow. You will know you have it right when you crush down on the clamp and see a pure white gelatinous material issue from the cervix. That was the baby’s brains. You can then extract the skull pieces. If you have a really bad day like I often did, a little face may come out and stare back at you.

Because the baby is so developed at 25 weeks, and his or her bones are hard, and so much force is involved, it's quite easy to lacerate the mother's uterus, or other organs. It seems something very much like this happened when Dr. Kothenbeutel was dismembering Mrs. Diel's baby.

The court documents allege that:
"Dr. Kothenbeutel and Cedar River Clinics were ill equipped to handle Maria Diel's late term termination the termination was negligently performed. Maria Diel lost an excessive amount of blood and was taken from Cedar River Clinics by ambulance to Valley Medical Center where a hysterectomy was performed to save her life."

The case is still at an early stage, and further medical facts will be brought out at trial. The parties have agreed to arbitration, as opposed to a jury trial, so maximum damages are $1 million.

Alas, Mrs. Diel's attorneys will be hard pressed to prove that Kothenbeutel and Cedar River were 'ill equipped' to handle late-term abortions like this, because they have in fact committed hundreds, if not thousands.

According to a 2002 “study” published in the Journal of Reproductive Medicine, Dr. Kothenbeutel reported doing just under 200 Dilation & Evacuation abortions in just a 6 week period.

We will bring you further details as they emerge. Meanwhile, this story can't be comforting to future would-be clients of this abortion mill.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

25+weeks is post-viability. What kind of monstrous excuse was given for this abortion?! Even if one believes in the legality of some abortions, such as earlier ones, how does one manage enough denial to request, pay for, and submit to one at this advanced stage? Maybe the woman was misled by other doctors into thinking she had to have this done or perhaps she was pushed into it by family members or was in despair about her personal circumstances - factors women often cite years after an abortion.

There is no conceivable explanation for how a physician
deluded himself into destroying these fetal-stage babies
however. You feel sorry for soldiers and police officers who suffer inevitable psychological/emotional trauma on taking another person's life (done in the line of duty).

There can be no justification however for the direct attack
on an innocent developing baby that is the very definition
of an abortion, whatever might have prompted someone to suggest it.

Surely this repeated, inhumane destruction of these
innocent, defenseless little babies takes a HUGE toll on
these doctors who, by various routes and with various motivations, found their way into the abortion field. I
wonder how many of them would love to stop aborting
altogether if they stopped to think about it for just a few moments. They would suffer loss of income and some may
not currently engage in any activity besides abortions which
could make it difficult for them. Still, I'll bet they'd feel a lot
better not awash in the blood of these innocent little babies. Many HAVE left the abortion field so it is certainly possible and very much worth encouraging.

Joel said...

Don't be silly. An abortion is only considered botched if the mother dies before the payment clears.

Anonymous said...

I'm sick to my stomach

Anonymous said...

I had the exact sane experience January 2011 same doctor, I am sick w the description of procedure. If I had been informed I assure you I would have made a different choice

Unknown said...

Does anyone know contact information on who's handeling the suit? I had a similar experience with this clinic and my rights were violated. They murdered my baby plain and simple when I had made clear it was my mother making me do this. I was only 13 at the time. I'm looking to find legal information about what laws were in place at the time and how I can go about bringing a case of my own. Anyone have any info is appreciate it.

Unknown said...

Anyone know contact info for the lawyers handeling this case?

Mary E. said...

Jamie --
Contact us at seattlecampaign@yahoo.com
We need to go through our files to see if we have the info you are looking for. We'd very much like to help you.
Mary

Unknown said...

To Anonymous and Jamie...
I know for a FACT that you were more than informed and given the opportunity to back out if you wanted to! They are NOT in the business of intentionally doing harm to a woman, NOR are they FORCING you to visit the clinic! Period!! YOU chose to show up and proceed with the procedure and as I stated before, was given information and the opportunity to MAKE YOUR OWN CHOICE!
Jamie...you were WAY too young to have a baby thank God for your mother! SHE probably didn't want to have another child...because YOU surely weren't going to raise it!! Keep it real and use your energy to seek professional help and counseling instead of an attorney!!
Ladies...take responsibility for your reproductive choices. The clinic wasn't with you when you were having sex, and they're not responsible for your birth control method that obviously didn't work...if you even used any?!
They are there for women who want to obtain an abortion in a safe and legal environment!
Unfortunately, like any other procedure or surgery, things can go awry; hence, signing of release forms and having consent!! Which you guys agreed to!!
Take responsibility!!
There are PLENTY of women who have utilized their services and have come out doing just fine...actually, GREAT!! I'm one of them and thank God for em!!

Anonymous said...

They took my $600 for a pill and then they called me saying that I MUST do a follow up appointment and if I won't go, then they refuse me a service next time. Receptionist on the phone told me that it will be a super fast appointment, so I scheduled it and had to take time off work to show up. When I got there, straight up receptionist told me that it will be a bit longer wait of 45 minutes, and I was very surprised by that because the place looked empty and there were couple people in front of me. I had to wait an hour and they still didn't check me in, and, ironically, they check din two people who came after me. I guess I was their black ship for the day. I came up to the receptionist after 50 minutes and said its been so long and I have to get to work. She said she would let them know. I waited another 10 minutes and then I had to go so I wouldn't miss my work. Clearly, I am very upset with their unprofessional behavior and like any business (their are a business) they should be better about customer service. Receptionist them called me on the phone to re-schedule and was very nasty to me. I won't be going back there and defiantly won't recommend this place to anyone unless you don't care and want to be treated badly. Try to find a better office of you can, this place should be the last reserve.

Wrecked For Ever said...

I had a bad experience at this place also.after they gave me medication they left me alone in a room nude and legs up in stirrups with a male. He was touching me and doing things to me that i knew were in appropriate. I tried to get up and yell but was to drugged.this went on forever.when he was done he left and came back in with other staff i tried to tell then but was given more meds put under. Im not sure if the abortion i had or the doctor did the damage i now have down there.i havent been to a doctor since im to embarresed. But it wrecked my relationship at the time and any future sex life .

Mary E. said...

Thank you for sharing this story. It would be great if all of the many women who have been hurt and defrauded by this business could band together and file a law suit.

Anonymous said...

Very well said.

Anonymous said...

"Wrecked forever" The medications used during these types of procedures can cause a disasscociation effect, meaning they can alter reality. Did you tell someone while you were in recovery what you perceived? Have you contacted the clinic since? It is a medical procedure with physicians who also work for UW and Harborview. This clinic is also nationally accredited through AAAHC, meaning they have the highest standards and provide the best practice of care. If you are having any problems either medically or emotionally, I encourage you to contact them. Their staff is phenomenal and will validate any concerns you have.